Thursday, March 10, 2011

My First PLE

Before this week, I had not known what a PLE was and have never heard of it before. Now, after looking at PLE's for not even a week, I am completely amazed by them. The video of the seventh grade girl with her own PLE just blew my mind. I couldn't believe how efficient it was and that it was so effective for education. It was so crazy to see how everything she needed was right there for her. Everything possible was just a click away!

Even though the PLE utilized RSS feeds, I noticed a similarity between the two. Both tools brought everything into one place, so you don't have to go to a hundred different places to view everything. They make life a lot easier and a lot more convenient. I also noticed that the layout of the PLE that the seventh grade girl used was similar to an iPod Touch or an iPhone, two devices that almost all students would be familiar with. This gives students an edge already having a familiar use to something they already know.

In the blog post "If this is your first PLE" by, Tom Haskins, he focuses on creating your first PLE. He mentions that the PLE has to be about your own interests. That is the fuel that keeps the PLE going and makes everything work. If you are not into it yourself, it will just die out. Then, it becomes just a regular class assignment. An assignment that students complete just because they are supposed to complete it and get a grade. He says that PLE's are self propelled and only happen when they energize and fulfill you.

With the current education system, do you think PLE's have a legitimate chance to become popular in schools as a primary source of education?

If so, how long do you think it will take?




If This is Your First PLE
http://growchangelearn.blogspot.com/2007/09/if-this-is-your-first-ple.html
By Tom Haskins

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anthony,

    I think it can be hard, considering that classrooms face content coverage as opposed to "un-coverage" as McTighe, Wiggins would say. I think one way to foster the engaging power of choice is by getting good at open but relevant essential questions. It isn't always easy, though, I have to admit.

    That said, I think with tools like Google Apps for Education gaining popularity in schools, students will form their own PLEs, DESPITE the framework where they learn. When that happens, I hope the teachers take notice. In this case, I would not be surprised if it is a grass roots revolution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it happens as well! Google Apps is growing at a very rapid pace. I hadn't really used Google Apps before the previous Fall semester and now I feel like it comes natural. We have been able to get a lot of good use out of them. It would be great to see students explore their own interests through their personal learning environment.

    ReplyDelete